Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What Does God Sound Like?


I have had many experiences that have helped me understand what God sounds like. From my experience, God makes me feel joyful and happy to do his will. In Galatians 5:22-23  it tells us what the fruits of the spirit are. They are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, and temperance.

God also tells us to repent. A lot of the time when God calls us to repentance it does not come peacefully if we do not really want to repent. Here are some examples of people who did not really want to repent, but were told to by God through a prophet.

In Mosiah 12-17 it tells us about King Noah and his priests and how they did not like the truth and how they killed Abinadi because they did not like the message. Alma repented though because he felt the power, and he knew he needed to change. He also taught the people and many of them repented. Mosiah 18 

Laman and Lemuel didn’t like the truth. The wicked think that the truth is hard. It cuts them to the center. 1 Nephi 16:2 The righteous want to repent and do what God wants them to do.

God gives us experiences to help us learn. God helped me understand what he sounds like through my experiences. God gave Nephi many experiences and tests to help him learn.

One of his experiences was to kill Laban. He had been taught that you should not kill, but because the Lord told him to, it was what he needed to do. Maybe that experience was to help him obey God, even if it was against what he would usually do. 1 Nephi 4:10-18 

But we also need to make sure that Satan is not telling us to do something and be tricked. Sherem was tricked by the Devil. He taught the people false things and tried to trick Jacob. When he was on his deathbed, he confessed that he had lied. He had taught things that were wrong. He feared he has committed the unpardonable sin. He had lied unto God and had denied God. He says that the scriptures truly testify of Christ. He died. Jacob7

In D&C 50:15, it tells us that we receive spirits that we don’t understand, and we judge them to be of God. In this are we justified? I had an experience where some spirits were confusing me.  They kept bossing me around, and I didn’t understand what I was supposed to be doing. I prayed many times for help. I have learned that Satan likes to depress us. I am glad I had these experiences. I understand God much better now.

By Rachel Willis - age 13

No comments:

Post a Comment