Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Who should we praise?


I believe we should praise God and not any other man or woman, even if they are a prophet or angel. True angels and prophets of God will tell you not to praise them and give all the praise to God. Here are some examples of people who tried to praise an angel or a prophet, but were told to worship God and not them.

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.” Revelations 22: 8-9 

Even prophets make the mistake of worshiping some other person rather than God.

Laman and Lemuel tried to worship Nephi after they had been shocked. “And now, they said: We know of a surety that the Lord is with thee, for we know that it is the power of the Lord that has shaken us. And they fell down before me, and were about to worship me, but I would not suffer them, saying: I am thy brother, yea, even thy younger brother; wherefore, worship the Lord thy God, and honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long in the land which the Lord thy God shall give thee.” 1 Nephi 17:55

It seems like sometimes after someone shows us something or does something really great we want to praise him or her. We should not praise them because they are flesh just like us. I believe we can thank them for what they have shown or done, but we should not praise them. We should not seek the praise or the glory of men even if it means we are cast out of churches and other places.

“Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.” John 12:42-43 

We should love the praise of God and not the praise of men.

By Rachel Willis age 13

No comments:

Post a Comment